Teach Yourself Unix, 4th Edition
- ISBN: 978-1558285880
- July 1999
- A Japanese version was published
- This book is out of print but may be
available from out of print book sellers
Previous and Other Editions
Aimed at the beginner/intermediate Unix user, this book shows you how to quickly become a productive Unix user. In addition, this book goes beyond the basics to introduce concepts such as the Internet and electronic mail.
The fourth edition expands this best-selling book. We've added coverage of the bash shell, and expanded the sections on the Internet, World Wide Web, and electronic mail.
The fourth edition follows a very different, IDG style for the "Teach Yourself" series. Most topics are now described on easy to read two-page spreads.
Teach Yourself Unix makes a perfect companion for Unix in Plain English
Table of Contents
- Section I: Unix From the Ground Up
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with Unix
- Chapter 2: File and Directory Basics
- Chapter 3: Unix Tools
- Chapter 4: Learning About Your Environment
- Chapter 5: The C, Korn, and Bash Shells
- Chapter 6: Multitasking and Processes
- Chapter 7: The X Window System
- Section II: Hello, Neighbor!
- Chapter 8: Electronic Mail
- Chapter 9: The Internet, the World Wide Web, and Netscape Navigator
- Chapter 10: Extending Your Reach With Networking
- Section III: Working With Unix Tools
- Chapter 11: Text Editing
- Chapter 12: Text Processing
- Chapter 13: Shell Programming Basics
- Chapter 14: C/C++ Programming Tools
- Chapter 15: System Administration 101
- Chapter 16: Additional and Advanced Unix Tools
- Appendix A: Learning More About Unix
- Appendix B: Some Basic Unix Commands
I'm sorry. This book is out of print but may be available from used and out of print book sellers.